Textures Messed Up

CNelson

Hello,

I'm not sure if this particular issue has come up before. I couldn't find anything that described the problem I was having, but then again, I didn't look very hard.

Doesn't matter what I install from Orbx, which part of the world it is or which airport it is, my textures turn into what you see in the images, in any part of the world.

I had to reinstall FSX 3 times now because removing the sceneries from the library, deleting the "ORBX" folder altogether or whatever else is suggested doesn't solve the problem. Once I install the scenery, my textures are messed up.

I'm not running DX10 preview, however I am running FSX on a laptop computer with an onboard GPU. Most people have problems running the game with their high performance GPU rather than the onboard one, however I did manage to fix that issue (that being said, some people claim that what you see on the display settings screen is reversed and that if it's showing your onboard GPU it's actually running the other GPU, especially when running DX10, which I'm not.

I have the latest libraries (151001) and the freeware Global NA Airports installed right now.

Can anybody help me with that?

w1ksmTr.jpg

mSPBapL.jpg

Nj2cN8S.jpg

ISibmsO.jpg

That made my heart skip a beat when I saw it. A solution so simple?! ;D

But then I looked into my scenery.cfg file and saw the script as it should be; with the "Texture_ID=1" already in there. :-

That being said, in my FTX Central 2 the only option under "Groups" is "Default" which is active. No other selection to change or reverse it.

Even after I manually disable the entries from the scenery library from the settings screen inside the game, my textures are still broken.

I think I'm going to have to do another reinstall.

P.S.: Should there be a "Texture_ID=1" entry for all "areas"?

Hi CNelson,

Just checking that you looked in the right location and that the syntax (text) is correct.
Before you begin reinstalling can you confirm that you have checked for "Texture_ID=1" in the right location, as there are 3 places where "Scenery.cfg" can be found in your FSX setup, the most important of these can be found in  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX which is the ("Active" Scenery.cfg). 

"Scenery.cfg" 

will also be found in FSX installation root folder & C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

The critical syntax (text) you should have in all 3 locations is below for [General] [Area.001] [Area.002]: (take special note of the green text) everything from [Area.003] onward should be fine.

[General]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Description=FS9 Scenery Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Local=Scenery\World
Texture_ID=1

Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\BASE
Layer=2
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

P.S.: Should there be a "Texture_ID=1" entry for all "areas"?

A: No, Texture_ID=1  belongs only in [Area.001]

Ta Nick, you might be right, worth looking at CNelson's Graphics driver version.

Yes graphics drivers may well be the problem, the link topic pictures do look to exhibit the same graphic artifacts, and the fix was a Graphics driver issue - update driver or revert to an earlier one, I thought of that one too but thought it related to that old P3D/Nvidia driver issue......  where those light blue triangular polygons made their appearance in one of the older drivers, but was unsure if FSX had the same cause.

I forget which Nvidia driver was the cause now.

Hi CNelson,

Just checking that you looked in the right location and that the syntax (text) is correct.

Before you begin reinstalling can you confirm that you have checked for "Texture_ID=1" in the right location, as there are 3 places where "Scenery.cfg" can be found in your FSX setup, the most important of these can be found in  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX which is the ("Active" Scenery.cfg). 

"Scenery.cfg" 

will also be found in FSX installation root folder & C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

The critical syntax (text) you should have in all 3 locations is below for [General] [Area.001] [Area.002]: (take special note of the green text) everything from [Area.003] onward should be fine.

See, that's why you guys are the best.

No, I did not check the other scenery files. Once I did, I found the Texture_ID=1 was missing from the "main" scenery.cfg file. Added it in and voila! It works now. :D

Don't know if it's anything, but the third scenery file you mentioned (AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX) is absent in the directory.

However since it's working, I'm not that bothered by it (or should I be?

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: I installed the latest driver just yesterday, just to be sure.

Magnificent result,

I don't know exactly why you don't have one in C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX location

but I remember reading a member post somewhere in these forums that a Scenery.cfg is created in this location if your sim had crashed to desktop (CTD) previously. (I have indeed had a CTD prevously in my FSX, that's most likely why I have one in that location. So I guess you have not had a CTD, hence not having one there, no need to worry if your sim is working fine now though.

EDIT: Strike all that, it was FSX.cfg that gets created as fsx.CFG.txt  upon a simcrash so still nonthewiser about why you don't have one, but still think its not a big issue as long as your sim is behaving itself once again

Thanks to Holger for the Texture_ID=1 pointer.

All the best and happy flights from now on.

Archived