Which Directory for P3D?

Stan V

I am a long time FSX user who has finally decided to join the P3D crowd.  

A long time ago, I put my FSX install on my F-drive to intentionally keep it separate from my computer's C:/Program Files(86) directory based on widely publicized conventional wisdom at the time related to potential difficulties with Windows access permissions. 

Remembering this, when I just recently installed P3D, I intended to install it on its own drive to likewise avoid putting it into my C:/Program Files(86) directory.  Unfortunately, I goofed with the install and did not see/recognize an option to choose where to place the P3D program, and it wound up right where I didn't want it to go - in my C:/Program Files(86) directory.  Fortunately, I had the disk space available but that may be only temporary as I add new scenery, aircraft, etc. plus I am still concerned about encountering Windows access permission problems on new installs.

Are simmers still being advised to avoid installing the simulators into the Program Files(86) directory?  While I now have only the P3D program itself installed without a lot of addons, would it be advisable to uninstall it now and try to reinstall it in a better place?    

Hi Stan,

Yes, yes. You should avoid this "Program Files (x86)" folder.

You can install the P3D on any other drive you have. For example mine is installed in E: \ Lockheed Martin \ Prepar3D v3 \

If you'll re-install P3D,you must uninstall the P3D via Windows so that your license be reset.

Cheers,

Voyager

As above, each Windows version seems to be even more

protective than the last of its program files folders.

I believe that he original thinking was 32 bit software in the (x86) folder

and 64 bit in the Program files folder but that is left over from FSX and

Windows XP.

Archived