Long unwrapping times......

I just started to run the new installers for PNW, PFJ, WLS, and SCO and I'm experiencing really long unwrapping times. The only one I let run to completion was Scotland and that took 2 hours and 33 minutes. I've deleted the old FSX installers for these but every other region I've tried for FSX (IRE, NIR, NCA, CRM, and NRM) all unwrapped in less than 2 minutes. Has anyone else seen this? I'm quickly pulling out what little hair I have left.......

Doug

It was useless action, because new installers are only for P3D V3.0 and no need for download and installing in FSX,P3D V1.4 and V2.

so , only when you need to install it in P3D V3.0 you need new installers !!

I probably could have worded things a little better. I am unwrapping for a P3D v3 installation. But, having already deleted the old FSX installer(s), the only thing I have to compare unwrap times are my other FSX files. Looks like I'm the only one having this problem. Sigh...It's really strange, though, that the only installers I have this issue is are the new ones for P3D v3. Thanks...

Doug

All the new installers are unwrapping for me in your 2 minute time frame...   I do have P3Dv3...   Is your temporary directory (to assemble the unwrapping) on a drive that is nearly full?  That is strange behavior.

Thanks for the post. Strange indeed. No, the temp file is on a separate drive with 400GB free space. It's only the .exe files that are a problem. The data files unwrap as normal. But watching the .exe extract is like a slow death (disabling the AV protection didn't work). You can almost count the bytes one-by-one...After two days I've about shot my wad on this one. I'm now hanging on the unwrapped files for the next reinstall. No more unwrapping for me... It'll be interesting to see what happens when the next Region is released.

Doug

Hi Doug,

How much space do you have free on drive C:?

Assuming you have enough, this is enough, at least, must be three times the file or package size that you will unwrapping!

For your information, this time you spent with SCO wrapping ("The only one I let run to completion was Scotland and that took 2 hours and 33 minutes") actually in an average RIG with SSD takes 1min40s.

Cheers,

Voyager

Thanks for the info. Indeed, less than two minutes is what I'd expect it to be. Neither the installer nor the Windows Temp file are on the C Drive. Both are on Drive D (10K RPM Velociraptor) which has 400GB free. P3D and Windows are on a 500GB SSD (Drive C) with 360GB free. So.....the hunt for a solution continues....

Doug

Archived