Error Switching Regions - P3D 3

I'm getting " error switching regions" when I try to change regions for P3D 3. It says "length can not be zero". I've tried re-installing FTX central, and the latest libraries, then rebooting.  Still getting the same error. Suggestions please...

Sue

And now my post in the FTX Central support forum has been removed. I posted here because I had no answer fo 2 days there.  THANKS SO  MUCH...  Why do I always have to jump through hoops to get help? I've bought every thing you've ever put out, and I still get ignored when I ask for help !  Why ? Other people get help in 10 minutes to 2 hours.  Why do I have to beg ?

POed

Sue

I'm getting " error switching regions" when I try to change regions for P3D 3. It says "length can not be zero". I've tried re-installing FTX central, and the latest libraries, then rebooting.  Still getting the same error. Suggestions please...

Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear of your problem, I won't pretend that I understand what is causing the error message or that I run P3Dv3, but have been doing a little web research on the issue where such (VisualBasic) VB .NET) error messages are returned.

It would seem that a part of the Region Switching sequence has become corrupt or has inserted a "0" zero into the "code string" where the binary 0 literally = (nul) "0" value is flagged as an exception, apparently VB .NET has trouble reconciling the 0 in the string. ( Granted of course this could be all wrong and I am on the wrong track completely).

2 things that I would check for on your system, are that you have checked Windows Update for any "MS Visual Studio" updates and have also checked for any .NET updates.

Ben McClintock may ask you for a diagnostic report from FTXCv2, to isolate the problem. If this is the case then Ben will likely request this report if needed, but don't do it until he asks.

Here is a link to the procedure if Ben asks for a report to be assembled and sent.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101679-submitting-a-diagnostic-report-in-ftx-central-v2/?hl=%2Bdiagnostic+%2Breporter

Unfortunately Ben is extremely busy with end of year uni exams so he does not as much free time at the moment otherwise he would respond.

I'd recommend deleting the %localappdata%/Orbx folder and then reinstalling FTX Central from the setup file located in the Orbx//Scripts folder. Make sure it allows itself to update if required.

Was it working OK prior to any changes?

I'll try later. Right now I'm gatting a download speed of 3.2kbs to 76kbs.  Then I get a box full of errors and  it drops.

Sue

Got the download. No fix though. Still getting "string length can not be zero"...

Thanks for trying Ed.

Sue

Speaking of "active" - I apply an area in P3D3, and close FTX Central, when I open Central back up,   nothing  shows as  "active".  So I don't know if anything is actually changing when I choose an area...   Wish I could fix this.  Do I have to un-install P3D3 and start over ?

Sue

I had the same thing a week or two ago. Fixed it by reinstalling FTX Central 2. Try going to  "your-drive\your-p3d-location\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral2_setup.exe".  Double click to reinstall FTX Central. Just a guess on my part but it worked for me.

Doug

Thanks Doug, tried that a week ago. I've run a repair on Net 4.5.2, and on VB runtime.  I've deleted the OrbX file in Users/appdata/ local ,and then reinstalled FTX central...    I've beat my head on the wall...

Sue

Hi Sue,

Please excuse the slow reply.

As Jeff suggested, would you be able to submit a diagnostic report? I believe the issue is related to your terrain.cfg file or one of the terrain_*.cfg or terrain_*.lc files that are located in ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Regions.

Would you be able to send me all of the terrain_* files that are located in ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Regions? If you're not able to upload them here, please send them to ben@orbxsystems.com.

Thanks

Hi Sue,

The issue occurs at about line 14923 of your terrain.cfg file.

Here the entry as it is currently:

// Tongass Fjords FSX custom textures 5 of 40
[Texture.953
Name=Tongass_Ocean_Shoreline_Vectors
Color=FFC0C000
guid={AEF4E4E3-167C-4853-A97E-A8975584187F}
Textures=HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_wi.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_hw.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_su.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_su.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_su.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_4
StripWidthMeters=17
Effect=fx_HS_FSX_oceanwavecontroller
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=92000
Water=No

Here is what it should be:

// Tongass Fjords FSX custom textures 5 of 40
[Texture.953]
Name=Tongass_Ocean_Shoreline_Vectors
Color=FFC0C000
guid={AEF4E4E3-167C-4853-A97E-A8975584187F}
Textures=HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_wi.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_hw.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_su.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_su.bmp,HS_FSX_shore_ocean_AK_su.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_4
StripWidthMeters=17
Effect=fx_HS_FSX_oceanwavecontroller
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=92000
Water=No

I've attached a fixed terrain.cfg for you as well. For Prepar3D v3 it should be placed in "%ProgramData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3".

Let me know if this resolves the issue for you :)

terrain.zip

Hi there,

nice bit of sleuthing, Ben! Also, useful to learn what a possible cause of the cryptic error message is.

@pasayten, I suspect the error was made when Sue manually re-numbered the Tongasss Fjords entries in terrain.cfg; easy to delete a single character when dealing with 40 entries.

Cheers, Holger

Archived