O60 - Cloverdale Municipal Airport Pre-Beta Previews

Welcome to Cloverdale Municipal Airport!

It’s been a busy few months for me and Greg, but we’re delighted to announce the newest member of Turbulent Designs, James Crowther!

James has a little surprise cooking up for you as we speak, which you’ll be seeing imminently. We think you’ll agree that it looks absolutely spiffing.

While he’s busy preparing that for you, we thought we’d take a moment to show you another project currently in development, Cloverdale Municipal Airport. Cloverdale will feature a completely hand drawn, super HD ground poly along with super HD buildings and vegetation. A lot of care, time and attention to detail went in to this scenery to ensure maximum realism that compliments the Orbx “Flow†tech that you’ve all come to know and love.

Here’s a quick feature list followed by some “Work in progress†shots. Please keep in mind that these pre-beta shots are of a product currently in development so can be subject to change over time. In other words, more can be added and improved, as it’s still in early stages.

FEATURES

HD airport ground detail!

HD texture details for both ground poly and buildings!

Ground poly expertly blended to PR seamlessly

HD scattered (optional) grass and other vegetation

Additional Turbulent Designs library objects with baked ambient occlusion

Large 60cm and 15 cm coverage area

Orbx “Flow†technologies

Custom modelled POIs

Fully seasoned to match FTX Northern California

Hand placed autogen, vegetation and buildings

Developed by Turbulent Designs (Russ, Greg & James)

7hl3iB3EAFNtP3E562e178abe877.jpg

hMBBfNuTprEmDDL562e178b53c4b.jpg

AAkkA01EMPONlrq562e178c46065.jpg

SvtQBmMxIHOczPp562e178dd1926.jpg

OecavS9ATiTYWc3562e178cd899f.jpg

GS7u7rIqrhDrGDT562e178f50399.jpg

mEHJ1eZc5k8RzGu562e178e4e93b.jpg

2o5ytrsa4P1e4ub562e1790c9bdb.jpg

bo4Rqr2fJuTG3Zz562e178fb5d76.jpg

Q5B7J9oDeAmWgDs562e454d79d33.jpg

QwzvqksXJ8ozFLz562e454d7d8c6.jpg

2036xfTbX9lQqId562e454eae9b3.jpg

7hH7oMUKBgeAqF3562e455000b66.jpg

Wow, I lived for many years a couple miles east of Cloverdale Muni and flew out of there many, many times.   You know i'll be buying this one!    BTW, I understand some developer wants to buy the acreage adjacent to the airport and shut it down to build a resort hotel.  Hope he fails.

C.

And those ground textures should be even better in Prepar3D, without those baked ambient occlusions.   :P

P3Dv2 doesn't render indirect lighting (ambient occlusion), only direct lighting (shadows from a light source). Because of this, ambient occlusion is best left in, but not as harshly as in FSX.

Personal opinion: Without some kind of AO, anything out of the shadow appears too bright and unshaded.

- Russ

Looks awesome, love their work, and will buy it, but..................................................

why?

This is so close to Sonoma.  In fact it is in the landing pattern.   It would be like having KRDD and then offering Benton O85 as a separate payware.

Just extremely puzzled over the choice.  Don't take my puzzlement as condemnation, I am just bringing up a point most of us probably are questioning at this point.  I mean there are dozens more airports up the Russian River and Hwy 101 which we will buy also.

Scratching my head!

You could ask the same question of these airports released separately in close proximity to each other:

Darrington / Concrete / Israel's Farm / Skagit / Anacortes  <=== a classic Piper Cub valley-to-coast run which I've done many times, try it!

or

Harvey / Monroe

or 

Diamond Point / Jefferson County

etc..

The fact is, many customers like to do very short hops from airport to airport in close proximity because they never really lose the sense of high fidelity from takeoff to touchdown at each of these detailed airports. 

We're confident O60 will sell very well, not only because of the amazing craftsmanship but because it *is* close to another HD airport :)

I second JV's comments--my time is very limited, so I typically do short hops between close-by airports in light aircraft, exploring the beautiful Orbx scenery in detail.  Recently, from KPAO to KSQL to KSFO and so on. Yes, I'll be enthusiastically picking up O60 when it is released. Along with the upcoming KHAF (Half Moon Bay) being worked on by Misha. :)

I agree with JV.

One of my favorite flights is to take-off from Orcas Island and fly over Anacortes Airport, Skagit Regional, Israel's Farm, Concrete Municipal Airport, and Darrington Municipal Airport.
I have each of those ORBX airports.
I may not land at any of them, but the land detail is wonderful to see.
I have a PPL and this is a very inexpensive flying experience.

BTW: I have about 80 packages from ORBX.

You could ask the same question of these airports released separately in close proximity to each other:

Darrington / Concrete / Israel's Farm / Skagit / Anacortes  <=== a classic Piper Cub valley-to-coast run which I've done many times, try it!

or

Harvey / Monroe

or 

etc..

The fact is, many customers like to do very short hops from airport to airport in close proximity because they never really lose the sense of high fidelity from takeoff to touchdown at each of these detailed airports. 

We're confident O60 will sell very well, not only because of the amazing craftsmanship but because it *is* close to another HD airport :)

I like this choice and it will be a release day buy for me.    5 Norcal airports I would also LOVE to see are 1o2 Lampson,   KWLW Willows-glenn co,   KAUN  Auburn muni,  and KHAF Half moon bay   If those airports were done I would be so happy..   The first two are really special to me because I have friends that live near them and I have been to them.

100% accurate statement here. I like these airports being in relatively close proximity, and this one is as good a choice as any.

Agreed, I'm doing the KORS - KBVS - WA56 - 3W5 - 1S2 loop for yet another time, and it never gets old. BTW, these may be older products, but they still look spectacular, especially with P3D's improved lighting.

I hope John doesn't mind me asking (I know you guys must be tired of all the "Are we there yet" questions ;))... Is there a chance we could get the updated V3-compatible ObjectFlow before airports are officially converted to quad installers?

Tym

I was looking at an aerial  shot of the full size Cloverdale from the air & noticed there is a small river running close by & roughly parallel to the airstrip.

Looks to be an interesting subject - rural, asphalt? runway on grass, trees, & a river.

Very much a rural feel to it

TTM

Agreed, I'm doing the KORS - KBVS - WA56 - 3W5 - 1S2 loop for yet another time, and it never gets old. BTW, these may be older products, but they still look spectacular, especially with P3D's improved lighting.

I hope John doesn't mind me asking (I know you guys must be tired of all the "Are we there yet" questions ;))... Is there a chance we could get the updated V3-compatible ObjectFlow before airports are officially converted to quad installers?

Tym

Yes the new ObjectFlow.dll will be pushed out via FTX Central V2 when it's been tested and verified.

I'd love to get 1O2 Lampson field, too. It's small, but could include seaports on Clear Lake in addition.

My parents lived on the airport in the early '80s, and I stayed there on weekends. My dad was both a fixed wing and rotor wing instructor based there, and my mom was responsible for the fuel service!

I'll be getting Cloverdale Muni the day it's released. That river next to it is the Russian River - I live on it about 14 miles south near Healdsburg.

Yes, that "little river" is the Russian River which during the Summer months is a low stream.   During the Winter rainy season the Russian can become a very wide, raging torrent.   Cloverdale is in the Alexander Valley wine country of Northern Sonoma County and  very much resembles Tuscany.

C,

So true, I tend to have 90mins for my fligth sim sessions, so indeed those clusters of HD airports are a must for me.

Wish you guys would do another YellowStone one, Gardiner or Cody. The peaks toward  Granite Peak could have some love in the same time.

Darrington / Concrete / Israel's Farm / Skagit / Anacortes <=== a classic Piper Cub valley-to-coast run which I've done many times, try it!

or

Harvey / Monroe

or

etc..

Absolutely! I very rarely use the airports that are further than about 45 minutes in a 172 from other Orbx airports, because although they are beautiful, I like to hop between and explore the scenery along the way.

On that note, I'd love to see Garberville, Ells Field, and Ukiah do e in full Orbx glory. That would complete an awesome chain from Sonoma to Murray that could compete with the Darrington/Orcas run!

Archived