Graphics Card Opinion

JamesIceland

Hi all,

I am currently toying with the idea of updating my Graphics Card - I currently have a GTX 780 Ti and run P3D versions 2.5 and 3 (although mostly 3 now). 

I am going to stick with my current processor which is a couple of generations old but performs admirably and is overclocked nicely - perhaps the next generation CPU's will tempt me.

I wonder if anyone thinks it is worth the upgrade of just the graphics card to a GTX 980 Ti - am I going to notice much of a performance gain in real terms?

I am also thinking about waiting until next year for the next generation CPUs and Pascal GPUs and having a complete overhaul.

I'm not displeased with performance in P3D but now that OOM's are seemingly managed more effectively, the temptation to push the sliders right is growing...;-)

Any thoughts appreciated.

James

I would wait next year for the new CPUs and GPUs.

I'm thinking the same to be honest - my 6 cores overclocked are still pretty powerful and I think the leap on the GPU side next year may be significant

GTX970 4gb...overclocks to 980 spec and far cheaper :)

I'm not sure how much better performance I'd see from that move realistically - a good value option perhaps but I'm thinking I'd need to see a bigger leap in performance, hence perhaps waiting for next years goodies to arrive!

You should be able to check for yourself if a graphics card update will make any difference for you. Install a performance monitoring and logging utility like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z - or you might even have a utility already on the disc that came with your card. Let the utility monitor your CPU and GPU performance while you fly in different situations where you usually get low frame rates. Check the performance graphs and see if the GPU core usage or memory usage is close to 100% in most situations. If so, then yes, you will get a performance benefit from upgrading. If your current card is rarely running at 100%, then you will get little benefit from upgrading.

In my case, for example, I have a 970 card running at 3620 x 1527 resolution with most sliders maxed out. My GPU core is rarely being used more than 60 - 70% except in a few situations with heavy cloud cover. For me, there is hardly anything to be gained from upgrading to a top range card that would cost at least double than my current card.

Hi James,

I upgraded from a 780Ti to a 980Ti, approx. two month ago. Referring to p3Dv2.5; yes; there was a certain performance gain, but honestly, it was not really much. I would say, if the money for a 980Ti is no issue, then do it, but if the money IS an issue, then don’t do it. 

Hi James,

I upgraded from a 780Ti to a 980Ti, approx. two month ago. Referring to p3Dv2.5; yes; there was a certain performance gain, but honestly, it was not really much. I would say, if the money for a 980Ti is no issue, then do it, but if the money IS an issue, then don’t do it. 

Thanks for clarifying that - I suspected this may be the case. I think I will definitely see what 2016 brings. Gives me time to save up and go for the big CPU and GPU upgrade! I'm still impressed that my 6 core i7-3930k is still a beast - I do think Intel has made very incremental improvements in the last few years - hoping the next iteration is worth the upgrade.

I just went through this same thought process and decided to stick with my 780 non-Ti for now, as the amount of money required vs the small performance improvement is not worth it.

Same reason I will stick with overclocked 4790K rather than go to Skylake CPU.

The new Pascal GPU's with stacked DRAM next year should be a better bang for buck. Some are saying up to 10x that of Maxwell (The current 980 etc series)

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-17-billion-transistors-32-gb-hbm2-vram-arrives-in-2016/

Are you sure about that, My 980 clocks too 1342MHz, i would like to see the 970 do that.

Yes...Here you go... ;)

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-geforce-gtx-970-strix-review,1.html

"In this review we will look at the gaming edition GeForce GTX 970 from ASUS. With a custom PCB, all dark design and the DirectCU Strix cooler the GTX 970 will get all the cooling it needs, with temps reaching a maximum of roughly 70 Degrees C with incredible low noise levels. In fact in idle or desktop mode, the fans won't even spin until they reach 67 Degrees C. And how does a 1114 MHz core GPU clock frequency with a 1253 MHz Boost frequency sound eh? tweaked you will reach 1400 MHz on this card fairly easily."

Hi James,

What James said.    You will gain a good bit with regular Games but with P3D i would wait.  The 780ti is still a a very powerful card  

Archived