Skylake Build with GTX 970 for 24" Triple Screens?

BuggSmasher

Hi Guys ,

I have a dream to use the following components for a build which will run 3x 24" native 1920x1200 screens.

Consisting of 1x 24"ASUS MK241H with 2 new x Dell U2412M. All native 1920x1200 with HDMI inputs.

Build list:

Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake Quad-Core CPU LGA 1151
MAXIMUS VIII HERO Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero Socket LGA1151 ATX Motherboard – DDR4
Noctua NH-D15 Multi Socket PWM High Performance CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 Gaming Edition Graphics Card
Corsair HX850i 850 Watt Fully Modular 80+ Platinum Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz RAM, Black – CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
Samsung 850 EVO Series 1TB 2.5in SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate
LG DVD/CD

So the question is will I get satisfactory results using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970, which advertises 4096 x 2160 Digital and 2048 x 1536 Analogue?

I have been planning a 3x screen setup for a few years, so is the technology and grunt available? Advise and opinions much appreciated.

I've been using 3 Dell U2412M monitors on a GeForce GTX 970 for some time now with great results (on a i7-3770k cpu overclocked to 4.2) . I use the two DVI and the Display Port video card outputs of the video card to the monitors and set them up as a single monitor (5760 x 1200) using Nvidia surround. Probably lots of opinions here on which monitor setup is best,  but the three monitor setup has been a great experience for me for the immersion it offers when flying. Get ready to feel like you are really moving when you take off and start your turns.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

"3x Dell U2412M monitors on a GeForce GTX 970.....using Nvidia surround!"

That's an awesome confirmation, having just recently visited a hardware vendor forum, and to be fair no exact details were discussed, but it was stated that I would need more that one card! So I started scrambling to confirm before I started placing orders! Anyways, there is the likes of you-tube with users showing of their triple screens, some dating back to last year or further back!      

So at the understanding that technology has come of age to successfully do 5760 x 1200 triple screen. How much does this drag your system behind compared to using a single screen?

Are there any locations you won't fly, or settings you have to adjust to make it bearable ?  Or does your system still cut through like a hot knife through butter?

There is no doubt that adding the additional screen and pixel draws knocks down the frames a bit. While I have not found any places that I won't fly, there is definitely a difference based upon the scenery and the aircraft in use. I have recently made the move to ProSim 737 on a networked pc. So my frames have greatly improved now that the FSX computer is only running outside views. However, I still like to fly the A2A 182 and the Turbine Duke. So I am back to one PC when flying those planes. I live near Seattle so of course I like this area but it is close to the worst for performance. But I can still do it if I keep LOD_Radius at 4.5.

This is by no means scientific, but here is a small table with my frames results in three areas with three different aircraft.

I run  FSGlobal Ultimate, Orbx Global Base,Vector, PNW, and the airports for the areas below. I am also using a Intel 3770K at 4.2 ghz. Since frames are also very dependent on the CPU, you should see better results on your newer system.

Let me know if you have a favorite area to fly. I can run the numbers on my system there too if you like. Also in your setup. You mentioned using HDMI. I would check to make sure it will support monitors at xxxx by 1200. It may be that they only will do up to 1080. The two DVI and one Display Port work great at the full 1200.

Frames for 1 and 3 monitors in surround

KSEA           KDEN           KPSP             

ProSim-      29/22         52/30           55/32

NGX-          20/15         31/22           40/30

A2A 182-   21/18         35/25            50/32

Wow, thanks for the helpful feed back.

The ASUS MK241H includes DVI-D and VGA (D-SUB) video connectors, so all appears to be straight forward there.

Thank you very much for posting stats and offering more on request for specific flying locations. I can't wait to finish this build go fly around my home town  YMML, with YMPC HQ for AirHauler.

Actually, I was doing a lot of flying with Air hauler a few years back, had a company worth 12 million. Then couldn't fly, I mean use the PC , after an year operation which then resulted in vertigo.  As funny as that sounds it destroyed my virtual flying career. So this PC marks a comeback and there's some great software add ins like the two you just mentioned. I just bought A2A's 172 and 182 , Cherokee 180 & Piper J-3 Cub. So tripple screen flying will come in very handy doing VFR with a cub !

Just thought of another question in regards to your over clock. I am curious if you have used Air or Water cooling? As you probably saw in my post Ive chosen a Noctua NH-D15 for Air cooling.

I use air cooling with a Thermalake CLP0596 R. I have never had an issue with heat. I just used the standard overclock provided by Asus on their P8P67 board which is getting a bit old now. The system you are building (Core i7 6700K Skylake) is much newer, better, may have different cooling requirements,  and I am sure provide you with better results.

By the way, the system you are building is very similar to what I would pick if I was buying parts today. So would love to hear how your system runs when you have it up and running.

Thanks again.

Sharing and confirming the build list......Not a prob!

The last few nights I've been pretty busy posting simultaneously on PC forums, and trying to zero everything down to the last nut and bolt. You could pretty much follow my cookie trail on the net.

Just a few last checks and final decisions. I've decided that staying with Air cooling cooling using a Noctua NH-D15 is still the best hassle free, compared to A.I.O water cooling kits wit radiators.Some are even stating that the NH-D15 is overkill, but best value for money to keep cool.

I think I'll finish on the power supply now, and then the check list will hopefully be completed.

Keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Sharing and confirming the build list......Not a prob!

The last few nights I've been pretty busy posting simultaneously on PC forums, and trying to zero everything down to the last nut and bolt. You could pretty much follow my cookie trail on the net.

Just a few last checks and final decisions. I've decided that staying with Air cooling cooling using a Noctua NH-D15 is still the best hassle free, compared to A.I.O water cooling kits wit radiators.Some are even stating that the NH-D15 is overkill, but best value for money to keep cool.

I think I'll finish on the power supply now, and then the check list will hopefully be completed.

Keep you posted.

I really would go with the Corsair H110i gt/gtx closed loop water cooler for overclocking the 6700k...cost is quite low and benefits high...most pleased with mine :)

http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h110i-gtx-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Yes, I'm drooling.

I should mention Capt Pugwash has shared some great feed back on His build, which has helped me make up my mind on the DDR4 memory.

But the combination of components and build advise can get somewhat daunting, especially when you get through a review to find somewhat marginal gains between these components.

So at this stage, based on the case I have , I am personally sticking too air cooling. But if I was looking for a new case, perhaps corsair, I think I might looking into following Capt Pugwash's build to the letter.

Another case in point is the PSU where I have been told that 750W/850W is ample for both O.C. and dual SLI, but some have installed 1000W just to cover future expansions as well, I guess.

Now I'm stumped on getting a Seasonic XP-860 Platinum 860W Power Supply V2, EVGA SuperNOVA or a Corsair HX750i/850i/1000i Plus Series

Archived