KJAC 1.10 installation error corrupt dll.xml

Scott B

Hi folks.

I've read this 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/97335-kjac-jackson-hole-dllxml-file-corrupt-on-install/?hl=%2Bkjac+%2Bcorrupt+%2Bdll

and this

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a92/dll_xml-information-and-troubleshooting.aspx.

I'm still not sure why I get this

KJACdll.xmlerror.jpg

All other updates including the recent 1WA6 triple installer have installed fine.  I've never encountered this error before.

I've duplicated the error on a second test PC, each PC with different FSX install locations ("C:\Program Files (x86)" vs "C:\FSX" ). 

"DLL.XML" checks out with notepad ++. 

I've edited the "DLL.XML" down to just the top seven lines, checked it with notepad ++, and still get the install error.  I've re-downloaded and tried multiple installs. 

The only way I can get KJAC to install without error is if I delete the "DLL.XML" file first.  (I have it backed up of course). 

What am I doing wrong?  Any additional suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

Scott

Same issue here. I used an XML lint tool to validate dll.xml and FSX was happy with it, but the installer claimed it was corrupt. I said "yes" to the "replace dll.xml" prompt after creating a backup copy. It copied the existing file to "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml" and left me with no dll.xml at all. I reinstated my backup and all seems well.

Same issue here. I used an XML lint tool to validate dll.xml and FSX was happy with it, but the installer claimed it was corrupt. I said "yes" to the "replace dll.xml" prompt after creating a backup copy. It copied the existing file to "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml" and left me with no dll.xml at all. I reinstated my backup and all seems well.

Exact same for me.

The problem with the installer deleting the dll.xml file is that dll.xml contains references to many other FTX airport object flows, FSUIPC, FS Recorder, A2A stuff, Active Sky, etc.  I noticed the other airports were missing tall grass etc. if the file is not restored.  Installing the latest libraries again after KJAC didn't restore the dll.xml file either.   

Luckily, it's easy enough to just rename the backed up file to dll.xml again.  After doing so, everything seems OK.

I wonder why this installer is doing that? 

Thanks for the replies.

Recently all new installers and triple installers deleted the ObjectFlow_XXXX.dll in the dll.xml according to the airport.

Currently Orbx centralises all objectflow entries to one objectFlow.dll entry.

Surprisingly KJAC is still in the dll.xml file located after the KJAC update to V1.1.

Is this intended?

Wulf

The installer is only running the module installer located in the original KJAC scenery folder to remove the KJAC objectflow dll.

It's the same process that has been used for our triple installers where the old dll entry has been removed so I cannot explain why some are getting the corrupt dll message.

If the KJAC entry remains it should not have an impact as the dll will no longer exist.

I don't know why it is happening to some and not others, but it happened to me as well. I lost the AddOn menu entry in FS that involved FSUIPC, Active Sky, PFC and AccuFeel. I stupidly said "yes" without first backing up the dll.xml file. Fortunately, thanks to this discussion, I found where that file and a backup are located and renamed the backup, which restored the AddOn menu.

I am sorry to report that I also got the error message and made the mistake of choosing "yes" and the "Addons" selection is now missing from my menu.  I wish I had read this thread before I ran the KJAC 1.1 installer.

I did not make a backup beforehand and need to figure out what is now broken in FSX and how to fix it.   

So what is the fix without reinstalling A2a,FSUIPC/FSdreamteam all these seem to be broken now and don't appear in the add-on menu. Where is the backup? Josh

The installer made a backup of my dll.xml file in the same directory as dll.xml (e.g. "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\") called "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml". Look for that file, and try renaming it (or copying it) to "dll.xml".

The installer is only running the module installer located in the original KJAC scenery folder to remove the KJAC objectflow dll.

It's the same process that has been used for our triple installers where the old dll entry has been removed so I cannot explain why some are getting the corrupt dll message.

If the KJAC entry remains it should not have an impact as the dll will no longer exist.

Hi Ed.  Thanks.  It's not so much the corrupt dll message that is troublesome, it's that it appears to remove and rename the dll.xml file altogether.   No other triple-installer issues.

I don't have a "ModuleInstaller.exe" or "ModuleInstaller.cfg" in my KJAC scenery folder.  Should I have?  Do those files get removed with the new triple installers (KJAC 1.10)? 

I did a search and these module installer files still appear to be in several other airports... the same airports that are referenced in the "dll.xml" (the one I restored).  For example, those files are still located in the KMRY scenery folder.

I have a disc image that I can restore to a previous state before installing KJAC and I can try it again if that would be helpful.

Scott

The installer made a backup of my dll.xml file in the same directory as dll.xml (e.g. "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\") called "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml". Look for that file, and try renaming it (or copying it) to "dll.xml".

May also have to enable "show hidden folders, files, and drives" in Windows Explorer in order to see the file. 

The module installer, cfg and dll file gets deleted from the KJAC scenery folder during the install process, this is part of the move to using the unified ObjectFlow which now resides in the Orbxlibs folder.

Those were successfully removed on my system. Things appear to have gone south when the Module Installer tried to remove the old KJAC dll entry from dll.xml. Which it did...

The module installer, cfg and dll file gets deleted from the KJAC scenery folder during the install process, this is part of the move to using the unified ObjectFlow which now resides in the Orbxlibs folder.

That makes sense.  And I agree with GeorgeM.  But like you said, it doesn't explain why only some receive the corrupt dll message.  No harm no foul.  I know you guys will fix it.  As long as folks know how to restore the file in the meantime. 

Thanks for your work.  Very much enjoy Orbx scenery. 

Not sure how we can fix this. The module installer exe is doing the work and it is used by other addons for modifying the xml file.

If it installed the dll entry without issue originally then it should remove it without issue as well. Other modules or manual editing of the DLL.XML file are known to corrupt the file.

The link above to the PMDG article is excellent in determining an issue with the xml file.

Not sure how we can fix this. The module installer exe is doing the work and it is used by other addons for modifying the xml file.

If it installed the dll entry without issue originally then it should remove it without issue as well. Other modules or manual editing of the DLL.XML file are known to corrupt the file.

The link above to the PMDG article is excellent in determining an issue with the xml file.

Oh well, one of life's mysteries I suppose. FWIW I'm fairly sure my dll.xml was/is not corrupt. I still have a copy of the one the installer didn't like.

I assume the module installer uses the ModuleInstaller.cfg file in the scenery folder? I don't know if it matters, but the one for KJAC was a little different than most. The contents were:

FSXDLL=ObjectFlow_KJAC.dllAppName=Dynamic Object Placement moduleFSXDLLTitle=ObjectFlow_KJAC.dllTryLoadingFSXDLL=true

As far as I can tell, only it and KBZN specify the actual dll filename in the FSXDLLTitle line. All the rest seem to use a variable:

FSXDLLTitle=$FSXDLL$

Does $FSXDLL$ contain the full path? The full path is specified in dll.xml. I can't think of anything else that would be different for different addons (assuming the exe itself is the same).

At least the problem seems recoverable if the installer makes a dll.xml backup for everyone.

Oh well, one of life's mysteries I suppose. FWIW I'm fairly sure my dll.xml was/is not corrupt. I still have a copy of the one the installer didn't like.

I assume the module installer uses the ModuleInstaller.cfg file in the scenery folder? I don't know if it matters, but the one for KJAC was a little different than most. The contents were:

FSXDLL=ObjectFlow_KJAC.dll

AppName=Dynamic Object Placement module

FSXDLLTitle=ObjectFlow_KJAC.dll

TryLoadingFSXDLL=true

As far as I can tell, only it and KBZN specify the actual dll filename in the FSXDLLTitle line. All the rest seem to use a variable:

FSXDLLTitle=$FSXDLL$

Does $FSXDLL$ contain the full path? The full path is specified in dll.xml. I can't think of anything else that would be different for different addons (assuming the exe itself is the same).

At least the problem seems recoverable if the installer makes a dll.xml backup for everyone.

Ditto!  Seems everyone with KJAC would have that same configuration in their Moduleinstaller.cfg.

I'd also like to point out that I hadn't edited the dll.xml file before KJAC 1.10 so, I'm not sure how it would have become corrupt to only the KJAC installer and not other Orbx triple installers.  In fact, I've hardly paid attention to the dll.xml file before this event. Maybe running another triple installer just prior to KJAC corrupted it without my knowledge (for me that would be 1WA6).  Regardless, I will use caution with future triple-installers.  This is not an attack on Orbx,   I'm surprised they can keep everything working as well as they do, particularly considering the nature of FSX!   I just want to keep everything running smoothly as I'm pretty far down the Orbx rabbit hole!   

Any chance this could have something to do with state of FTX Central prior to the install  (North America vs FTX Global)? 

Mine didn't make a backup but there was one from 8/16 that A2a made and I used that one and all seems to be okay now. One Question I have quite allot of Orbx objectflow DLLs for allot of airports listed in this file. I thought I heard that these were all to be put under one umbrella? Could it be using older installers for ORBX products is the culprit that creates these issues. Josh

Mine didn't make a backup but there was one from 8/16 that A2a made and I used that one and all seems to be okay now. One Question I have quite allot of Orbx objectflow DLLs for allot of airports listed in this file. I thought I heard that these were all to be put under one umbrella? Could it be using older installers for ORBX products is the culprit that creates these issues. Josh

I think Ed stated that with the triple-installers, there is a move toward a "unified ObjectFlow". 

I also have several Orbx airports remaining in the xml file.  As I understand it, they are supposed to be there or you won't see tall grasses and such at those specific airports because they reference an active, in-place "ObjectFlow_****.dll" file.  There may also be entries that reference "ObjectFlow_****.dll" files that no longer exist but as Ed mentioned, those entries should have no impact.  As the triple-installers are released and installed, they convert airports to the unified objectflow while also removing their older counterparts from the xml file, like GeorgeM mentioned.  In the case of KJAC 1.10 process, there was a hiccup ....for some of us.  :-

In regard to the older installers, if you mean, would the KJAC 1.00 installer (which used three setup files) have an impact, then maybe.  But I don't know. 

Glad you found a backup via A2A.  Strange that you didn't have a "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml" file.

I think Ed stated that with the triple-installers, there is a move toward a "unified ObjectFlow". 

I also have several Orbx airports remaining in the xml file.  As I understand it, they are supposed to be there or you won't see tall grasses and such at those specific airports because they reference an active, in-place "ObjectFlow_****.dll" file.  There may also be entries that reference "ObjectFlow_****.dll" files that no longer exist but as Ed mentioned, those entries should have no impact.  As the triple-installers are released and installed, they convert airports to the unified objectflow while also removing their older counterparts from the xml file, like GeorgeM mentioned.  In the case of KJAC 1.10 process, there was a hiccup ....for some of us.  :-

In regard to the older installers, if you mean, would the KJAC 1.00 installer (which used three setup files) have an impact, then maybe.  But I don't know. 

Glad you found a backup via A2A.  Strange that you didn't have a "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml" file.

I don't know why ether but maybe it asked to make a backup and I said no. But now I know everything is okay. On my fresh install of FSX a few months back I installed some regions and airports from old installers that I had backed up and ran into issues using them and went thru some hoops and hurdles to get everything right.Thanks for the response I will now move on to flying. Thanks Josh

I think I have found the issue, at least on my systems.  It seems to have something to do with the absence of a blank line at the bottom of the xml file. 

I restored a backup copy of the folder "FTX_AA_KJAC" that I had on hand from April (which contains the ModuleInstaller files).  I then restored a "dll.xml" file I had on hand from early July.  Through process of elimination and by using ExamDiff, I discovered that the KJAC 1.10 installer does not play well with a "dll.xml" file unless it has a blank line at the very bottom.  That's the only difference.  Remove the blank line, and I get an error message.  Add the blank line, and the installer works perfectly. 

The recent release of 1WA6 triple-installer did not seem to be bothered by the absence of the blank line.  I had installed that just prior to KJAC 1.10.   

So it appears for me, the issue was one blank line.  Does that make sense to anyone? 

Scott

I should also point out that, with a blank line in place at the bottom of the xml file, not only does the installer run without the corrupt xml message, it also properly removes the KJAC entry from the xml file as well.

My apologies to Ed and Orbx as it seems there was an issue with my "dll.xml" file after all... on both of my machines!  In my defense, I'm not sure I would call it a corrupt xml file, especially since other triple-installers haven't been affected by it.

Just to be clear and for comparison, I tried 1WA6 triple installer again by first backing up my current "FTX_AA_1WA6" folder and then replacing it with one from April that contained the ModuleInstallers.  Then I made sure my "dll.xml" file contained the 1WA6 entry and also made sure there was not a blank line at the bottom.  1WA6 again installed perfectly. 

Seems there are some subtle differences between the KJAC and the other triple-installers. 

Thanks

Scott   

I think I have found the issue, at least on my systems.  It seems to have something to do with the absence of a blank line at the bottom of the xml file.

Good catch! That sounds very plausible, and I can confirm that my dll.xml that the installer had problems with did not have a CR+LF after the closing "</SimBase.Document>".

ED, do I just click "yes" and let it rebuild a new dll?  I have downloaded and saved it but I have not yet loaded it into FSX. 

Or Scott, can you describe step by step how to add that 'blank line at the end of the xml file?  Thank You for discovering the issue and for potentially having a solution. 

Matthew

Except it doesn't in fact build a new dll.xml, at least not for me. And if it did, many entries from other addons would not be in it, correct? It is a very big problem when the install of an update buggers many other addons by creating a new dll.xml without their entries or not creating a dll.xml at all.

Clearly, there is something different about this one installer, since I have not encountered this problem with any other installer.

I read this thread hoping for more supportive and productive responses from Orbx. Thankfully, Scott has taken the time to find out what is causing the problem. It would appear, though, that we are not to expect any effort to correct this from Orbx.

Further to my previous, after pressing the yes button, and reading further posts, my two entries in addon also dissappeared, FSUIPC and ASN, I just reinstalled them both, don't know if any other problems have occured anywhere else in FSX SE, first time I've had a problem with an Orbx installer, somethings amiss with this one, which really needs sorting out, very dissappointing!

Cheers,

I remember this happing before a few years back with another installer but cant remember if it was ORBX or not and it was all about that line missing on the bottom of the file. If it re writes it there no getting it back and hopefully you have a pervious backup or one from a different add-on. Hopefully they have fixed the issue and fixed the installer. maybe they need to put a warning sign up. Mine is okay now but those without a backup could use some guidance on what ORBX products are effected as those aren't as easy to know and we wont have any flow. We all need abet more help here than what was previously provided by Ed. My suggestion is to just say no to it gets sorted.

ED, do I just click "yes" and let it rebuild a new dll?  I have downloaded and saved it but I have not yet loaded it into FSX. 

Or Scott, can you describe step by step how to add that 'blank line at the end of the xml file?  Thank You for discovering the issue and for potentially having a solution. 

Matthew

Hi Matthew.  First you must find and back up your current file, just in case.  In fact, it's not a bad idea to backup all of the files in that folder along with the dll.xml file.  See GeorgeM post earlier to find the file and check out the link from PMDG associated with that post as it describes how to properly view and edit the dll.xml file.  Once you've located the file, EDIT it with notepad (notepad worked for me, but I also used notepad ++ as a reference) and place the mouse cursor at the end of the bottom line that should read "</SimBase.Document>" (without the quotes).  Simply press Enter to create one blank line at the bottom and save the file with that blank line in place.  Again, make sure you have a backup copy just in case.  The installer should run without the error message... hopefully!!  At least mine did.  That said, if you have any other issues with the dll.xml file then the installer may also see those issues as a stumbling block.  If you already have a blank line in place then I don't have a solution but suggest you read the PMDG site to troubleshoot.  Thing is, if you've had no other issues with triple-installers in the past, then your dll.xml file is probably OK except for the absence of the blank line at the bottom that hangs up KJAC.  I really hope this works for everyone.  It worked for me.  Lot's of trial and error!  So, if you happen to get the error message even after adding the line, don't install  KJAC just yet!  Make a point to discover what else may be a problem with the xml file first.  Let us know how it works.

Except it doesn't in fact build a new dll.xml, at least not for me. And if it did, many entries from other addons would not be in it, correct?

If memory serves me correctly, mine did not rebuild a new xml file either.  It did, however, back-up up my original by renaming it to "DLL_BeforeModInstaller.xml".  The way I found to "rebuild" the xml file was to reinstall the latest libraries after installing KJAC. (But rebuilding it does not restore it to full potential).  You will then indeed have a new xml file, but..... the contents of that file will have no reference to third party add-ons like FSUIPC, A2A, or even FTX airports that haven't converted to the new unified object flow.  You will have to re-install all of those, as Ed mentioned, to get those lines automatically added back into your new xml file.  The third party add-ons aren't really uninstalled, it's just that FSX will no longer know where to find them since there are no references to them in the xml file... like removing a desktop shortcut as opposed to uninstalling a program.  I'm sure you are aware of this... just in case someone else isn't. 

I would like to thank Scott (buckster) and GeorgeM for their help. Kudos!

As with many others above, the KJAC Triple Installer balked at my system's dll.xml file. (Happily, I said NO to the prompt and did not have to find a backup.) Following Scott's advice, reading the PMDG guidelines, and downloading and using (freeware) Notepad++, I discovered that the last line in the dll.xml file did not end in <CR><LF> as the Windows format expects. And thanks to the explanations above, I was able to add the <CR><LF> characters to that line. (I did copy and paste.) After the correction, the KJAC Triple Installer worked perfectly.

So we have a fix for what is a common problem. Thanks to our forum members!

I wonder if our friends at the Orbx team might consider changing their installer. At the moment, the trusting Orbx customer is nudged to say "go ahead and rebuild the dll.xml" and then install KJAC. This is exactly the wrong sort of way to push the customer. If the installer does not make an explicit backup of the existing dll.xml, then the customer is in a lot of trouble. And even if there is a backup, the unsophisticated customer will not know what to do when he or she discovers that many other FSX addon programs no longer work!

Of course, the customer can simply rebuild the dll.xml to include the necessary links to make his addons work. However, many customers will not know which programs need to have references in the dll.xml – unless they have a backup and can examine which links were in the previous dll.xml.

Perhaps Orbx might supply customers with a long list of programs that will have to be re-installed if the customer chooses to have the Triple Installer wipe out the old dll.xml file? Something like:

"If you choose to go ahead to rebuild your dll.xml file and install the update to KJAC, you will have to reinstall your versions of FSX/P3D addons such as FSUIPC, Active Sky, EZDOK, PDMG Aircraft, all Orbx sceneries that have not been updated and perhaps many others as well. Alternatively, you should choose not to install the update before backing-up and correcting you dll.xml file as explained in the technical document here (give URL). After the correction, you may return and install the update to KJAC as normal."

Does this make sense? The update to KAJC is a welcome and much appreciated gift from Jarrad. It would be great if we can all enjoy the splendid contribution without unnecessary problems.

(This situation brings to mind the advice "First, do no harm.")

Mike MacKuen

Archived