You wouldn't be spending $60 to solve the problem, as PNW does so much more than just fixing the shoreline.  I totally agree though that it should have been fixed ages ago as it really is a massive error and I'm very surprised that it's been ignored for so long.

Edited by Dave_YVR

Just now, Dave_YVR said:

You wouldn't be spending $60 to solve the problem, as PNW does so much more than just fixing the shoreline.  I agree that it should have been fixed ages ago as it really is a massive error and I'm surprised that it's been ignored for so long.

I tend to fly high and fast (PMDG birds). I’m not sure I’ll get much out of PNW, hence my initial strategy of using Global, Vector, and NA.

• 2 months later...

Nick thanks for the reply. I truly appreciate people like yourself that spend time here assisting others. Based on my experience with Orbx I’ll likely never purchase from them again. I’ve already filed a formal complaint with the ACCC regarding my case however I suspect this will take some time.

I've just purchased Vector a few days ago and noticed the same problem with the tidal mud flats west of CYVR and Richmond, the city to the south of CYVR. After some experimenting in the scenery library I found that unchecking the ORBX!VECTOR_CVX and ORBX!VECTOR_EXX seem to restore the CYVR area to the more accurate shoreline. I know nothing about how P3Dv4 and Vector depict scenery but I do know the area in question is a tidal flat (I live in the area).  In the real world at low tide it is a mud flat and and at high tide it is under water. It would be interesting to look at other areas that are partially covered with water to see if this is more widespread. The other area with similar characteristics is Padilla Bay, near Anacortes Washington https://goo.gl/maps/QrbCun4DBrH2  another bay with extensive mud flats.

If the area has the same problem then my suggestion is that Vector is seeing the exposed mud flat as land when it really is not. I'm curently downloading the newest version of Vector and will see if the shoreline depiction is corrected. 

Hi Gestacon,

Unfortunately your solution is not a good one as you are turning off much of what you paid for when you bought Vector. The intransigence displayed by Orbx on this has been disappointing and I wouldn't expect a fix or refund anytime soon as once they have your money they don't seem to care.

B Regards,

To pilot_17

There is no intransigence, only inaction from  the Vector developers.

It helps no one to constantly repeat the same complaint, just as it helps

no one to constantly point out the same error.

The topic has been comprehensively answered, even though the answer is not satisfactory.

To Gestacon:

welcome to the forums.

If you have identified a new area that you believe to be defective, please start a new topic in the 

Vector forum, ideally providing the exact coordinates and a screen shot if possible.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, pilot_17 said:

Unfortunately your solution is not a good one as you are turning off much of what you paid for when you bought Vector.

Hi pilot_17

I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem, I agree that turning off the files permanently is not the solution. 

• 2 months later...

I live in the area, so I understand how you feel.  Having an accurate depiction of your local area is important.

I have Vector and PNW installed, along with DreamTeam's CYVR.  The coastline and surrounding area is exactly as it should be.

I would suggest keeping Vector as in general it does a great job adjusting coastlines, etc.

If you purchase PNW (right now it's 50% off) I think your issue will be resolved.

Hi folks,

I know that many have very tight budgets but considering the cost of hardware needed run a sim well, I note that the cost of FTX PNW is currently less than a top of the line 120 mm case fan at Newegg. (Yes, you can get them for $5 too.)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It could in theory be done but the problem is it's a fairly large and convoluted section of coastline and it would take me quite a while to edit for minimal benefit, as the coastline depicted technically is not incorrect but rather is displaying an incorrect texture (as has already been discussed).  It would probably be most simply fixed with a landclass polygon, unfortunately there are no default tidal flat textures that I'm aware of that would do the area justice and actually create an improvement.  The Orbx FTX series uses a custom texture that I either can't access with SBX Builder (or I'm just not skilled enough to know how) not to mention a fix user would need to have that texture as I understandably would not be allowed to distribute it.  I've also been hesitant to work on fixes where such fix is obviated by a popular add-on, be it by Orbx or anyone else.

By chance, have you looked at the area in default v5 to see if there is any improvement?  Or, with v5's performance gains (assuming you intend to upgrade) allowing expanded utility of the FTX series for airliner ops, I would simply highly recommend picking up FTX PNW for once all our favorite airliners make the conversion.

Edited by Sabretooth78